HYB: color/paint chips

Stopped by my local Ace hardware store today - I told them what we'd
been discussing and they loaded me up with more free paint color charts
than I wanted.  All but white tints because they only had one booklet
left and I refused to take it.  I learned that they use up to 9 or 10 (I
think) tint colors to mix up all the colors they sell.

The individual paint chips are numbered with several shades to each
number, with A being the most color saturated.  The higher numbers are
the 'muddier' or grayer colors (for instance, Rockwood - 198C - is a
medium gray).    They said Ace was an international corporation, but he
wasn't sure which countries it's in or whether or not their paint is
available internationally.  He said something about the colors being
computer generated, but I think he may have been getting printer/monitor
colors mixed up with paint colors.  I have no idea how much these would
fade if kept inside their individual folders out of the light most of
the time.

So, just for fun - the photo of SAVANNAH SUNSET (described as cadmium
orange) in the print copy  of Schreiner's 2000 catalog appears to be
between Golden City (4A)  [which to my eye under fluorescent lights is
indestinguishable from Tequila Sunrise (5B)] and Orange Beach (5C).

I guess Love's Light (1A)  would be closest to a deep yellow glaciata
<g> and Whipped Butter (1E) would be a pale yellow glaciata. Simply Red
is 11A, Birthday Blue Boy is 23A, Elegant Emerald is 30A, then the 40s
start back thru the yellows, oranges etc.

Yep, LOTS of new names for iris cultivars here...I guess there are >1000
color chips.

Hope that was mildly interesting to somebody other than me....

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/975789092/