Re: TB: CULT: pinks - Anna Belle B

I never have tried BEVERLY SILLS due to her bad rep in this area.  ANNA
BELLE BABSON lived for several years here, bloomed twice I think, made
enough increase for me to share occasionally, but finally is gone, I
think.  It was never vigorous in growth, but seemed healthy enough.  In
the years' of comparison of cultivars that do differently for me than
they do for Walter Moores - his climate is slightly warmer than mine, he
has better soil (naturally more fertile and better moisture holding
capacity (assuming it rains occasionally!), but the excessive drainage
in my gravelly soil seems to give slightly better results here for some
cultivars.  Maybe ABB is one of those?

Then again, all of this iris success/failure with some cultivars is just
hit or miss.  Cases in point are IMMORTALITY and BABY BLESSED, weeds
everywhere, but I had a hard time getting both of them established (>5
attempts each).  Now they grow like weeds for me too.

> Has anyone grown Anna Belle Babson and tried to use it as a parent?
              > has a deep coral pink similar to its parent, Beverly
Sills, but for me it
              > has been a much better grower, vigorous and healthy.
Francelle Edwards
              > Glendale, AZ, zone 9 where winter came two weeks ago and
left already.
<                      Of all of the pinks mentioned in this thread, AB
has been the
              poorest here.  I tried it twice.  It would arrive as a
strong rhizome
              with good increase but then after being stuck in my soil
              dwindle into something like an MDB and disappear over
winter.  I have
              seen only pictures of its bloom.        Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8