Japanese Irises

"Dennis said:
I am growing I. ensata variegata and I. laevigata variegata in pots set
into the ground.  The pots hold extra moisture around the roots which they
just love.  I am trying a similar technique with some Louisiana irises too."

I assume you've been doing this for a bit, and it's working?  I planted some guest seedlings in pots which I put in the ground,
this fall, and wondered if that was the best technique. Here in St. Louis, it probably gets even drier in the summer than in Cinci.,
and I want to keep watering to the minimum required for JIs, as our water has a horrendously alkaline pH. Have you encountered any problems I should watch for, with pots?  Thanks.

Nyla Hughes, where we had our first snow yesterday for moisture, and the JIs would welcome acid rain!
Zone 6, St. Louis (Where I'm also finding it difficult to type with a Bernese Mt. Dog who wants to sit on my lap.)

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/975889887/