Re: Japanese Irises

>Have you encountered any problems I should watch for, with pots?  Thanks.
>
>Nyla Hughes,

I have only 2 JI's. IMPERIAL PALACE is blooming with 3 bloom stalks, and
about 7 increase, in an 8" pot. It is sitting inside another container which
holds water, and it is currently transpiring 1 litre per day, even though it
is getting only afternoon sun.
The other pot is a seedling JI which has taken 3 years to flower, and is in
a 5" pot, floating in a large container of water, along with Gerald Derby,
Roy Davidson and Phil Edinger. Both JI's have been in the same pots for 3
years, without a change of soil, and are doing remarkably well.
I think in my hot, dry climate, it would be more waterwise to keep these
plants in pots, and provide just the amount of water needed, istead of
watering heavily through summer, and losing most of the water into the
ground or to evaporation.

I would appreciate advice on a soil mix to use when transplanting these
plants. My first JI bloom opened yesterday and I am thoroughly hooked on
these beauties.

Cheers, Jan Clark, Australia

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/975891923/