Re: Re: TB: CULT: pinks - Anna Belle B

That is interesting. ABB is my most vigorous pink.  It has withstood heat, too much water and adobe brick soil.  I've had it four years and now have three good clumps that haven't failed to bloom.  I have crossed it with Appleblossom Days, hoping for the vigor and color of ABB with the size, form and bud count of AD.  Seedlings haven't bloomed yet, but I don't see the vigor in them.
Francelle Edwards   zone 9
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Linda Mann
  To: iris-talk
  Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2000 10:56 AM
  Subject: [iris-talk] Re: TB: CULT: pinks - Anna Belle B

  I never have tried BEVERLY SILLS due to her bad rep in this area.  ANNA
  BELLE BABSON lived for several years here, bloomed twice I think, made
  enough increase for me to share occasionally, but finally is gone, I
  think.  It was never vigorous in growth, but seemed healthy enough.  In
  the years' of comparison of cultivars that do differently for me than
  they do for Walter Moores - his climate is slightly warmer than mine, he
  has better soil (naturally more fertile and better moisture holding
  capacity (assuming it rains occasionally!), but the excessive drainage
  in my gravelly soil seems to give slightly better results here for some
  cultivars.  Maybe ABB is one of those?

  Then again, all of this iris success/failure with some cultivars is just
  hit or miss.  Cases in point are IMMORTALITY and BABY BLESSED, weeds
  everywhere, but I had a hard time getting both of them established (>5
  attempts each).  Now they grow like weeds for me too.

  > Has anyone grown Anna Belle Babson and tried to use it as a parent?
                > has a deep coral pink similar to its parent, Beverly
  Sills, but for me it
                > has been a much better grower, vigorous and healthy.
  Francelle Edwards
                > Glendale, AZ, zone 9 where winter came two weeks ago and
  left already.
  <                      Of all of the pinks mentioned in this thread, AB
  has been the
                poorest here.  I tried it twice.  It would arrive as a
  strong rhizome
                with good increase but then after being stuck in my soil
                dwindle into something like an MDB and disappear over
  winter.  I have
                seen only pictures of its bloom.        Walter Moores
  Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8>

  Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

        eGroups Sponsor

eGroups eLerts