Re: New to Iris-Talk

Theresa,

Welcome to iris-talk!  I'm glad to hear the Pardanthopsis have germinated
for you.  It would certainly be worth trying the tender "crested" irises in
Austin.  The most common in this group are I. japonica, I. confusa and I.
milesii.  There are also a few named hybrids.  I can help you with some
sources.  Also, don't forget our native Sisyrinchium or "blue eye grass".
You should able able to find these a local nursery that specializes in
native plants.

To learn more about the iris family plants I'd suggest you join the Species
Iris Group, SIGNA. For more information, check out our web site at
www.signa.org.

Rodney
--
Rodney Barton
rbarton@hsc.unt.edu

North Central Texas USA
AIS, SIGNA, SLI and SPCNI
USDA Zone 7/8
AHS heat zone 8
Annual rainfall 32 in.
Mean annual temp 65 deg.
Mean length of frost free period 230 days

North American Native Iris web site:
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html

<<I would like to learn more about the cultural needs of these plants, and
would also like to learn more about those Irids that would adapt well to the
central Texas landscape.  It seems that I've come to the right place!
Happy gardening--Theresa Massey

Austin, TX. Zone 8-b; 15-110 F; normal annual rainfall 30" >>

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/975956224/