Re: Re: New to Iris-Talk

>Theresa,
>
>Welcome to iris-talk!  I'm glad to hear the Pardanthopsis have germinated
>for you.  It would certainly be worth trying the tender "crested" irises in
>Austin.  The most common in this group are I. japonica, I. confusa and I.
>milesii.

I think you meant to include I. wattii in this group, not milesii, which is
quite hardy, and related to tectorum, not japonica and confusa.  There is
evidently an unnamed species in this group informally called I. "nova",
seed of which was distributed by SIGNA last year, and of which I should
have blooming plants this spring.  It appears to be a "cane-type" plant,
like I. wattii.  Checking the BIS species guide, it seems there are plans
to call the new species Iris wittii.  Wittii, wattii, it's all pretty
confusa.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College