OT: Garden judging rules

Hi folks,

I'm sorry to have been silent on this list for such a while.  Our bloom season has been an exciting but busy one.  I see that Colleen Modra has also had a chance to start posting again so it's good to see.

I have a question for those of you who are either in charge of trial garden competitions, are accredited AIS (or ISA!) judges.

A trial garden competition down here in Oz. has recently amended it's conditions of entry to include the following paragraph:

"The hybridiser will, as a condition of entry, waive all rights to the plants submitted for evaluation, but may direct the supervisor on how to disperse of any plants at the end of the trial period". (the bold print is as per the publication, not my emphasis)

This is something completely new to my experience.  Does anybody have any experience with a ruling in their trial garden competition like this and if so, does it work?

Public or private comments would be much appreciated.

Heather Pryor
Emerald City (Sydney) Land of Oz
Where summer sunshine is the order of the day.