Re: Re:HYB:Glaciatas/green pigment

  • To: iris-talk@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re:HYB:Glaciatas/green pigment
  • From: Gullo <tgf@frontiernet.net>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 20:43:48 -0500

Hi All,

     Just saw this post, I'm a bit behind on my email, but I wanted to say I had the enjoyment of
meeting Chuck at the Rochester meeting and found his presentation on plicatas, luminatas and
glaciatas to be very informative and thought provoking.  We also spoke at length about rebloom in
our climate.  I highly recommend trying to get Chuck to speak at a meeting if at all possible.  My
Thanks to you Chuck on a wonderful presentation.

Michael Gullo
West Walworth, NY, USA
zone 6

Chuck Chapman wrote:

> Glaciatas are a fascinating topic. I have put together a slide program on
> plicatas, including luminatas and glaciatas. I presented this to the Rochester
> group several weeks ago. I have introduced two glaciata SDBs. A white "Eramosa
> Snowball" and a green glaciata "Limesicle". As far as I know this is the only
> green glaciata in exsistance. Glaciatas are very recessive as they are a
> recessive of a recessive. To use their genes properly you need to cross to a
> plicata. Crossing to a luminata will usually produce some glaciatas. It
> doesn't change the colours of the pigments but is a removal of the violet/blue
> pigments, especially the haft markings. Thus the colours remaining are
> cleaner. This also shows the green pigment to be in the cell sap, either a
> variation on the yellow pigment or chlorophyll, or a combination of
> chlorophyll and yellow. I'm currently speculating that it is a variation of
> the yellow pigment (Carotenine) rather then a combination involving
> chlorophyll or being chlorophyll. The shade of green doesn't look like
> chlorophyll to me as it is too much towards the yellow. If it was a mix the
> colour wouldn't likely be as even or as smooth as it is. I beleive that I
> posted a photo of Limesicle on iris-photos in the spring.
> Crossing a glaciata to a non plicata would be like crossing a plicata to a non
> plicata, except even worse. You would then have to work very hard at bring
> plicata back in and even harder to bring glaciata back in. Even when you
> finished you would likely be exactly where you were to start with. An
> interesting project would be to get the green glaciata Limesicle, crossed to a
> tangerine factor(lypocene) plicata to see what happens to the green when it is
> combined with or replaced with tangerine. If it is chlorophyll based then it
> would combine to produce a ?darker pink? or a new shade (shades)to work with.

> Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://home.netscape.com/webmail

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/975984304/