Re: HYB:Large flowered TBs

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, Christopher Darlington
<chris.darlington@s...> wrote:
> Hi Talkers ,
> Last year we discussed some freakish irises under a subject line
> escapes me now.  One of the cultivars mentioned was an abnormally
> pink TB called GIANT ROSE that was flowers so large ( 11 or 12
> that she's almost guaranteed to fall over.
> My question is:  Are there other TBs out there that  would fall into
> this class or are a little smaller ?  Any suggestions would be
> because written catalogue descriptions offer little information.
> I'm looking through catalogues now and like to order a few of the
> gardenable larger ones for use in a future breeding program.
> Thanks in advance to any on or off line tips
> Chris Darlington
> Blainville , Quebec
> lots of snow today

Supreme Sultan is a very large flower. I have had blooms up to 10"
across, and it never falls over. I do have a number of plants that
have SS in their background and they have large flowers (not as large
as SS). These are Sultan's Honey and Artiste's Palette.  Sargent
Preston is also large and so is its grandparent Condottiere.