Re: Re: HYB:Large flowered TBs

On 6 Dec 00, at 12:56, irischapman@netscape.net wrote:

> Supreme Sultan is a very large flower. I have had blooms up to 10"
> across, and it never falls over. I do have a number of plants that
> have SS in their background and they have large flowers (not as large as
> SS). These are Sultan's Honey and Artiste's Palette.  Sargent Preston is
> also large and so is its grandparent Condottiere.

	When SS bloomed here, it was no larger than the other flowers blooming at
the same time in my garden, but I have seen it very tall and large in Memphis
gardens.

     I think cold weather (or the lack of it here) helps determine
size and height of the blooms.  We have not had any real winter here
in the last three years, and things in the TB department have been on
the short, smallish size.

     Dallas hasn't had any winters either, and I think that and
drought were the causes of the rather short stalks and generally
smaller flowers we saw there at the recent convention.  Of course,
TIM CLARK was the exception.  The pictures in the October AIS
Bulletin bears this out, particularly with the short stalks.  But,
that can be an advantage, too, with Texas winds sometimes laying
everything low.  It seemed just about everything in the Clark garden
was very short.

     I am always amazed at the pictures of irises my cousin sends me
from St. Louis.  Everything is taller and larger than here, and I
attribute it to the weather, particularly the colder winters.

     Walter Moores
     Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/976108657/