Re: Zones and Temps

I'm not a knowledgeable one to expound on this subject.  Someone  in your
area may be able to.  But in my not-so-humble-0pinion, I'd say you were close
to my zone -- sort of 6/7 since you are nearly a mile high in the mountains.
Down on the flats in SanDiego, it is probably 9 - don't I remember palm trees
there?  And I THINK (too troublesome to go to italics)  SUNSET  zones are for
sunshine?  Help, someone!  I find weather an interesting subject -- in my
reincarnation I think I'll be a weatherman!
What you need is a CHECKLIST for REBLOOMING IRISES.  That is our "bible" and
it gives the zones, states, and countries where various irises have been
reported to rebloom -- listing over 2200 irises.  It costs $10.00 plus
shipping(3.00 - priority mail) and send the check to Charlie Brown,3114 S. FM
131, Denison, TX 75020  and he will send you a copy poste haste and you'll
love it!  He's the Pres. and Membership Ch'man of the Reblooming Iris
Society.   And with that in hand, you will be able to select irises that may
rebloom for you.  So much is involved, really.  Not just temperature, but
sun, rain, soil, care, etc.  TYo compensate for irradic (sp? that doesn't
look right) rainfall, you can use soaker hoses  because rebloomers tke more
fertilizer and water than regular irises.  Good luck! Rosalie nr
Baltimore,USA  zone 7 (temp about 18today, maybe going to 28)
ryfigge@aol.com

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/976110864/