Re: Japanese Irises

Hi Jan,
Glad to see that you are really hooked on JIs.I think that they are truly
amazing and have had  many admirers who come to the farm, screech to a dead
halt and stare at the blooms with large gaping jaws.What are they and aren't
they beautiful is always the comment...
You need to mulch JIs in the garden quite heavily, I put loads of old cow
manure down first, then put lucerne pellets with more cow manure over the
top, drench the whole lot with as much water as my tank will allow, and pray
for RAIN...They do remarkably well with this method. Some years I haven't
had the time to put down mulch, but my plants are planted very closely
together and the surrounding grass, which grows well with the extra
watering, shelters the base of the plants quite well. I have to be careful
how much lucerne mulch I place, but I try to give the plants as much of an
acid bath as possible and use the pellets that have dynamic lifter in them
as well. I think the tons of cow pats are the main key to their success...My
JIs that are in pots live in summertime, in a few old baby baths that I got
from a farm clearing sale, yes they had lots of children...I find those
potted irises are greedy hogs and drink so much water it can be obscene,
however I have put only my favourite treasures in the baths. They are
planted in azalea potting mix from Debco and I add Saturaid as well as lots
of cow manure and azalea food. I am very limited by how much water I can use
at this time of year and as we haven't had rain here for a month and you can
stick your toes in the cracks in the ground, even the bathing beauties will
be limited this seasaon. I only water my treasurers, which are my JIs and my
clematis and if lucky the hostas, but they live under some trees and are
quite cool.
Some might find it funny, but our number one criteria for a new washing
machine purchase, was that it had to be able to recycle water for the
garden.If I am lucky and Don manages to pump up more water from our rapidly
drying creek, then I rush out and give everything a good slurp. You will
find as you get more JIs, that they are just as addictive as TBs and such
and are quite hardy . I suppose the same applies to all our garden plants,
give them ideal conditons and they flourish, not and you get what they give
you..Hope this is of some interest and maybe help....Wendy Sargeant..In dry
West Gippsland,Aus....where my email has gone mad this am and has given my 2
of everyones mail... and I haven't had a phone for 3 days, imagine the now
doubled up email backlog....:)