Re: OT: Garden judging rules in trial gardens

Morning all...

Heather Pryor inquired about the return of iris plants after being sent for display/evaluation/judging in trial gardens over there.

From what I recall of Perry Dyer's stories while twice judging the Premio Firenze in Italy, I believe that is the way they do it over there.

Also, for convention gardens in America --- when hybridizers send plants for the convention gardens, it is up to them to dictate what happens to them after the hoopla is over.  Usually, they will tell the gardener to keep a plant and send the rest back.  Then there are the cheapskates that will say send it ALL back, giving no thought to the gardener who has nurtured it and frequently laid down his/her life for the blessed plant on multiple occasions during the 2 to 3 year span it has been entrusted to them.  Sometimes, but not so frequently, the hybridizer will tell the gardener to keep a plant or two and donate the rest to the sponsoring organization to sell off for profit to help recoop expenses for whatever event they put on.

I believe that was the gist of Heather's query. I've not had to supervise a trial iris garden (Thank God), but am a Garden Exhibition Judge for a while now...

Kath in a cold OKC =^..^=  AIS Region 22, Zone 7