Re: Re: OT: Garden judging rules in trial gardens

Pooreplace@aol.com wrote:
> Then there are the cheapskates that will say send it ALL back, giving no
> thought to the gardener who has nurtured it and frequently laid down his/her
> life for the blessed plant on multiple occasions during the 2 to 3 year span
> it has been entrusted to them.  Sometimes, but not so frequently, the
> hybridizer will tell the gardener to keep a plant or two and donate the rest
> to the sponsoring organization to sell off for profit to help recoop
> expenses for whatever event they put on.

I would object to the characterization of "cheapskate" for those
hybridizers who ask for all of a particular cv back. It may, in fact, be
for good reason, e.g., to destroy all of a plant that turned out to be a
looser. It is certainly in the best interests of all not to have
unregistered, low quality irises floating around. Maybe they lost all
their stock - any number of reasons. I always thought that "volunteers"
offered their gardens for the betterment of AIS and the promotion of
irises to the public. It is nice when the guest garden is given an
increase from a particular guest, but IMHO it should never be expected
or used as the basis for volunteering.

In my experience here on the west coast, most often the hybridizers
offer - 1 for the garden, 1 for the host club, and the rest for the
region hosting the event to auction off. Occasionally all of a certain
cv is requested to be returned, and we should do so without complaint.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society