Re: Re: OT: Garden judging rules in trial gardens

On 7 Dec 00, at 10:27, John Jones wrote:

> Pooreplace@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Then there are the cheapskates that will say send it ALL back, giving no
> > thought to the gardener who has nurtured it and frequently laid down
> > his/her life for the blessed plant on multiple occasions during the 2 to
> > 3 year span it has been entrusted to them.  Sometimes, but not so
> > frequently, the hybridizer will tell the gardener to keep a plant or two
> > and donate the rest to the sponsoring organization to sell off for
> > profit to help recoop expenses for whatever event they put on.
>
> I would object to the characterization of "cheapskate" for those
> hybridizers who ask for all of a particular cv back. It may, in fact, be
> for good reason, e.g., to destroy all of a plant that turned out to be a
> looser. It is certainly in the best interests of all not to have
> unregistered, low quality irises floating around. Maybe they lost all
> their stock - any number of reasons. I always thought that "volunteers"
> offered their gardens for the betterment of AIS and the promotion of
> irises to the public. It is nice when the guest garden is given an
> increase from a particular guest, but IMHO it should never be expected or
> used as the basis for volunteering.
>
> In my experience here on the west coast, most often the hybridizers
> offer - 1 for the garden, 1 for the host club, and the rest for the
> region hosting the event to auction off. Occasionally all of a certain cv
> is requested to be returned, and we should do so without complaint.

>                          |  Annotation used

	Amen, John!

     If I have a seedling that I am going to introduce or destroy, I
ask that all guests of those varieties be returned to me, but I try
to make up for that favor by leaving the stock of something that has
already been introduced or something that I have plenty of stock of.

     In every request for guest convention irises published in the
AIS Bulletin the rules are clearly stated.  The host gardeners know
from the outset that the hybridizer may request all stock back so why
should the host gardener 'go ballistic' when that request comes in
for the return of all stock.  Don't volunteer your garden as a host
garden if you do not intend to abide by the rules.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/976219397/