Re: Re: OT: Garden judging rules in trial gardens

In a message dated 12/07/2000 2:06:54 PM Central Standard Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

>  > Pooreplace@aol.com wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Then there are the cheapskates that will say send it ALL back, giving
no
>  > > thought to the gardener who has nurtured it and frequently laid down
>  > > his/her life for the blessed plant on multiple occasions during the 2
>  > > 3 year span it has been entrusted to them.  Sometimes, but not so
>  > > frequently, the hybridizer will tell the gardener to keep a plant or
two
>  > > and donate the rest to the sponsoring organization to sell off for
>  > > profit to help recoop expenses for whatever event they put on.
>  >
>  > I would object to the characterization of "cheapskate" for those
>  > hybridizers who ask for all of a particular cv back. It may, in fact, be
>  > for good reason, e.g., to destroy all of a plant that turned out to be a
>  > looser. It is certainly in the best interests of all not to have
>  > unregistered, low quality irises floating around. Maybe they lost all
>  > their stock - any number of reasons. I always thought that "volunteers"
>  > offered their gardens for the betterment of AIS and the promotion of
>  > irises to the public. It is nice when the guest garden is given an
>  > increase from a particular guest, but IMHO it should never be expected or
>  > used as the basis for volunteering.
>  >
>  > In my experience here on the west coast, most often the hybridizers
>  > offer - 1 for the garden, 1 for the host club, and the rest for the
>  > region hosting the event to auction off. Occasionally all of a certain cv
>  > is requested to be returned, and we should do so without complaint.
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > John                     | "There be dragons here"
>  >                          |  Annotation used
>
>   Amen, John!
>
>       If I have a seedling that I am going to introduce or destroy, I
>  ask that all guests of those varieties be returned to me, but I try
>  to make up for that favor by leaving the stock of something that has
>  already been introduced or something that I have plenty of stock of.
>
>       In every request for guest convention irises published in the
>  AIS Bulletin the rules are clearly stated.  The host gardeners know
>  from the outset that the hybridizer may request all stock back so why
>  should the host gardener 'go ballistic' when that request comes in
>  for the return of all stock.  Don't volunteer your garden as a host
>  garden if you do not intend to abide by the rules.
>
>  Walter Moores
>  Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

I'll add my Amen to that also......It's up the the hybridizer to say what is
to be done with his iris and I told the gardens this when they volunteered to
become guest gardens for the Region 18 Convention that Greater St Louis Iris
Society is hosting this coming spring. I had a meeting prior to receiving the
guest iris explaining what was expected of each garden and not to expect to
keep any rz from a particular guest until the hybridizer responds for until
then it belongs to him/her we are only guesting these for the hybridizer. I
must admit I told them if they felt they should receive a rz of each guest
then they shouldn't be a guest garden. I mentioned in my letter to all the
hybridizer's that there wishes would be followed to the <T>. I feel the
reason it's so hard to get hybridizer's to respond fromclubs asking to guest
their iris is for the very reason above. I can't control others but I can
make sure our club follows these rules when I am the guest chairman.

I also mentioned no pollen was to be used unless they went through me first
so I could contact the hybridizer. Right now I am trying to get together all
the information on how the guest have done up to now so I can get that to the
hybridizer soon. This to me is very important for how else will they know how
the iris did in this region if we don't let them know. Why if we don't take
time to send this information to them would they send out guest iris. I
thought this was the reason a hybridizer sent out their iris to be guested to
know how well they did in a given area.

Thanks to all the HYBRIDIZER'S that do send out iris.

Jim Loveland, Fenton,MO
Zone 5

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/976222193/