AIS: Guest Iris Chairmen

> Thanks to all the HYBRIDIZER'S that do send out iris.
>
> Jim Loveland, Fenton,MO
> Zone 5

	Jim, you sound like the ideal guest iris chairman.

     I think one reason some hybridizers don't send things off to
conventions is the fear of their stock being pilfered or otherwise
abused, neglected, etc.

     My pet peeve is the guest iris chairman who accepts the plants,
but never tells you if they arrived, what gardens the plants are in,
or how they are doing.  They never tell you if any died after the
first year or ask if you would like to send replacements.  Then, when
the time for the return of the plants rolls around, they do not abide
by your wishes and just send back anything you sent without any
explanation.  I shall never forget getting a large box of rhizomes
back from a long past convention and none of the plants were labeled!
I guess they thought I knew which varieties they were by looking at
the foliage.  I could understand this if I had requested the return
of only one variety, but there were several in question.

Don't get me wrong.  For the most part, the AIS guest chairmen do
abide by the rules, but I've been around long enough, having sent
irises off to twenty-four AIS conventions and numerous regionals, to
have run into a few sloppy guest iris chairmen along the way.  It's
really frustrating when you get one like that.

Keep up the good work!

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

eLerts