New to Iris Talk/planting in pots

  • To: :
  • Subject: New to Iris Talk/planting in pots
  • From: sueme@micron.net
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 08:05:48 -0600

Hi, I just started growing Irises this year, with about 20 pseudographa
bought in pots. This fall, I started a wide variety of rebloomers,
approximately 100 new rhizomes in pots. I have built in indoor light room in
my unheated garage, using the shop lights/shelves combination others have
discussed. These new Irises have really done well, many of them are sending
out their "real" fans already and only a tiny percentage of them have
rotted, which wwere easily exchanged where I bought them. My indoor light
room has timers that allow 16 hours of light a day, and because the room is
surrounded by thick double sheets of plastic and is totally insulated with
both bubble wrap and sheets of reflective-backed foam insulation, it stays a
nice 60 degrees with just the heat from the lights.

I plan on letting the Iris "experience" some cold in a cold frame I will
build in February, when the weather starts to break around here. I would
appreciate any suggestions you might have on adjusting the Irises to this
temperature change. It is very sunny here usually in February, often
achieving 50 degree days that month and dropping down to 20 at night. In
particular, I am worried about cold damage and some watering techniques that
might help these plants adjust to this trauma. This is Sunset zone 2b, zone
6. Thank You. Larry