RE: turkeys ,rebloomers

>> From: 	Christie Pierson
>> we have a new seedling that seems to be a reverse plicata-amoena. The
>> standards are white ground dotted and speckled blue,falls are white ,no
>> haft marks. Very upright closed standards hide solid blue stylecrest. We
>> looked in our catalogs and noticed most plicatas had their markings on the
>> falls or all around the flower ,not just on the top. Is this something
>> new?

I saw some seedlings like this or approaching it in the reselect fields at
Schreiners' last May.  I think if you check various photo sources, you'll
see that this is the logical end point of a series of blue plicatas going
way back into the diploids.  The blue marks on the falls get finer and
finer, ultimately disappear from the lower part of the fall, then become
restricted to a few haft marks, and finally (as in your seedling) are gone
altogether.  I don't know if anything like this last step has ever been
introduced.

I wonder how this relates to the reverse blue amoenas or bitones like 'In
Reverse'?  Whatever the gene is that keeps the color out of the falls could
also be expressed in a plicata, removing the plicata pattern from the
falls.  Moving this into other colors could produce some very interesting
patterns, such as yellow standards and white falls from variegata/plicatas.
Or am I just dreaming?

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College