Re: I. cretensis about to bloom

Many of our Iris unguicularis were transplanted this Fall, so we're not
expecting too much bloom from those plants this Winter. Nonetheless, one
of the transplants has obliged us with a couple of blossoms. Elsewhere
in the garden, one of the mature plants has been blossoming off and on
since late October. The temperatures here have been dipping as low as
the high twenties for a week or so in November. Such low temperatures
are uncharacteristic here. The current temperatures are only dipping
into the low thirties and high twenties.

A recent forecast on <www.weather.com> had us worried for the past week.
The forecast started out by claiming low temperatures of minus 9 degrees
Fahrenheit on about 13-14 December. The forecast has since been revised
upwards to around 20 degrees more or less. We've been concerned about
how to respond to the threat of sub-10 degree weather. Besides the Iris
unguicularis and similarly sensitive iris, we're also concerned about
our Rosemary plants. We're going to mulch around some of the smaller
plants, but the larger plants like the Iris unguicularis, PCNI, and
Rosmarinus are a greater challenge.

Dallas Patterson
USDA Zone 8
On Puget Sound in Washington

Bill Shear wrote:
> Despite temperatures as low as 16F the past few nights, I've been
> successful protecting the bud on my plant of I. cretensis.  It is now
> showing color and with a warm day today and tomorrow I expect bloom by
> Sunday!  There are two more buds coming along.  Interestingly, two rather
> large clumps of I. unguicularis are doing exactly nothing.
> Bill Shear
> Department of Biology
> Hampden-Sydney College
> Hampden-Sydney VA 23943