HY:Seed

Hi All,

I took the time to plant my iris seed today.  Temperature wise, it may be the
last "good day" for planting.  The potting soil in my 6 inch mum pots,
reclaimed from a local nursery, was wet, cold, and still fluffy.  I planted
approximately 25 seed per pot, give or a few here and there.  They were
planted close together in the center of each pot.

Now, to the point of my post--all the TB seed were the same color, deep rust
with a carmelized shine, and near the same size.  There were approximately
900 TB seed from 13 crosses.  Never has this happened before.  The seed are
usually a wide variety of colors and sizes.  As my 14 month old granddaughter
would say, "Whazthat?!"

Seed pods matured early here and I placed them straight into sealed envelopes
which have not been opened since.  I know a few of these seed were larger in
size than the others and there was variety of color when I placed them in the
envelopes.  Usually, some difference remains visible in the dried seed.

As some may recall, I saved a bee pod on Welch's Reward.  I've not crossed
MTB's or saved bee pods from them before.  (Good intentions don't count
here.) I was surprised to see the dried seed look much different than T.B.s.
They are tiny and teardrop in shape!

Ah, it's a good day in the garden.  Now for spring!

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA Zone 6
Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/976408138/