Re: HYB:Seed

On 9 Dec 00, at 19:28, storylade@aol.com wrote:

> Hi All,
> I took the time to plant my iris seed today.  Temperature wise, it may be
> the last "good day" for planting.

     I would have planted my bearded seeds yesterday, but the Christmas party of our
of our local society conflicted with that chore, so I must do the
planting today because I fear, too, that it is the 'last' day if the
weather forecast for colder weather and rain pans out.  This is the
latest I have ever planted seed, except for Signa seed which arrive
in January.  I try to plant bearded seeds in November.

     At our society meeting we had Brenda Belus as our speaker.  She
is the 'caregiver' of the 2002 convention garden at the Memphis
Botanical Garden. The 2002 convention will be Brenda's third to have
played a major role in.  She worked the '77, '89, and now the '02
convention, so when she speaks, you listen. Thirty thousand dollars
have been spent on the renovation of the iris garden alone.  The
design is a gigantic wheel with the spokes acting as walkways. Of
course, the stone mason's work garnered the bulk of the cost.  One
sad note, only six Siberians and four Louisianas were sent as guests
to this convention, while over one thousand bearded have been
planted.  Guess the possible La guests went to Little Rock, for their
convention in 2002 is a week or two later.  I cannot account for the
absence of Siberians.  Other exciting gardens are located in Nesbit,
MS, and several other suburbs of Memphis, so there won't be any great
traveling during this convention.
> Seed pods matured early here and I placed them straight into sealed
> envelopes which have not been opened since.  I know a few of these seed
> were larger in size than the others and there was variety of color when I
> placed them in the envelopes.  Usually, some difference remains visible in
> the dried seed.
  Back to the seeds.  The greatest variation in size and shape comes with
the beardless.  My cross of Little Caillet produced seeds that looked like
nasturtium seeds.  Others are various shapes but generally smooth and

   When harvested, my seeds are dried in dixie cups, then are placed
in pill bottles that go into the freezer in late August where they
stay till planting day.
    Week-ends are precious in the iris world, and workday Mondays are
recuperative days for which I get paid!

     Walter Moores
     Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

eGroups eLerts