Re: HYB:Seed

On 10 Dec 00, at 10:30, memescott305@aol.com wrote:

> Hey Everybody,
> I have been growing a few varieties of iris for years never realizing
> untill I found this forum how many beautiful kinds are available,needless
> to say I am now wanting all the irises I can get my hands on!I have been
> crossing daylilies for a couple of years but have  never tried irises.I
> save my seeds in 35mm film canisters that I get  at a local store.They
> throw them away and are always glad to see me come by.I place the all the
> imformation on a piece of freezer tape and plop them in the freezer untill
> it is time to plant them.Its a free and easy way to have a constant supply
> of containers.I was wandering if you could also do the same for iris
> seeds?Thanks for all the imformation everyone provides. Melanie Scott
> South CarolinaZone 8

Here daylily seeds don't need freezing or stratification.  I plant
the daylily seeds as soon as the pod breaks open and the seeds are
dry.  They sprout in three to four weeks and make nice seedling
plants before winter.  Many bloom the next summer, barely a year from

Iris seeds are different and need stratification.  Earlier today, I
mentioned freezing iris seeds from August until planting day (today,
I hope).  I use pill bottles.

Since you just recently found us, have you also found iris-photos at

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

eGroups eLerts