Re: HYB:Seed

On 10 Dec 00, at 11:41, Christopher Darlington wrote:

> Walter wrote:
>
> "When harvested, my seeds are dried in dixie cups, then are placed
> in pill bottles that go into the freezer in late August where they
> stay till planting day."
>
> Walter ,
>
> Is the freezing stage of your seeds just what you consider optimal
> storage conditions for your seeds or does this two month freeze play a
> role in the germination factor.
>
> Chris

	Wow!  Am I doing a lot of talking today!

	Two reasons why I freeze seeds.

      One is the chilling factor.  Sometimes, winter is just about
absent here, and all the cold I can provide does help in germination.
Last year was the exception because of the almost total absence of
winter.  Even though my seeds were frozen, there was poor
germination.  I planted the seeds at my usual time in November, but
because of the very warm weather all winter, only about a quarter of
the seeds sprouted.  If winter is normal or below, germination is
much better.

	I also freeze the seeds to keep them from molding during our humid
summers.  Even in the house under air-conditioning, if the seeds are
left outside of the freezer, they can still mold in the pill bottles.

    Many people get livid when I tell them I freeze seeds because
they think the embryo is killed by freezing.  That is NOT true.

    Walter Moores
    Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/976466775/