Re: HYB:Seed

>	Two reasons why I freeze seeds.
>       One is the chilling factor.  Sometimes, winter is just about
>absent here, and all the cold I can provide does help in germination.
>Last year was the exception because of the almost total absence of
>winter.  Even though my seeds were frozen, there was poor
>germination.  I planted the seeds at my usual time in November, but
>because of the very warm weather all winter, only about a quarter of
>the seeds sprouted.  If winter is normal or below, germination is
>much better.
>	I also freeze the seeds to keep them from molding during our humid
>summers.  Even in the house under air-conditioning, if the seeds are
>left outside of the freezer, they can still mold in the pill bottles.
>     Many people get livid when I tell them I freeze seeds because
>they think the embryo is killed by freezing.  That is NOT true.
>     Walter Moores
>     Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Very interesting.  I never paid much attention to seed storage
before.  When I harvest them in summer, I put them in an envelope and
write the cross info on it.  Then in winter I plant them in pots and
set them outside to freeze/thaw/etc. in the great outdoors.  I would
imagine keeping them in pill bottles is not a good idea since the
humidity can't escape?
Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6

eGroups eLerts