Re: HYB:Seed

In a message dated 12/10/2000 8:21:43 AM Central Standard Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

<< When harvested, my seeds are dried in dixie cups, then are placed
 in pill bottles that go into the freezer in late August where they
 stay till planting day. >>

My containers are easy to find and easy to mark.  I use plain personal size
envelopes, which have had the field #, parents, sorted number, and seed count
written on them.  When I lived at Alvaton in an old house with limited
air-conditioning, I, too, had problems with mold.  However, I found that I
could turn the envelope each day while giving it a shake, and this kept the
seed separated and broke the mold loose.  Even though the humidity was often
high, I can't say that I lost even one seed to mold.  Occasionally, there was
black powder remaining in the envelope when I open them at planting time.

Now, I live in air-conditioned splendor and have found the seed don't grow
mold.  The envelopes sit in a neat little row propped between knickknacks on
the top shelf of a book case in my office--out of any possible reach of my
four footed furry cohabitants.  (Cats)

I've never felt the need to refrigerate seed.  Even the warmest winter seems
to be cold enough for good germination.  If seed would germinate well last
winter, and they did, then I doubt they will ever have problems here.  For
me, they are fuss free.  However, I sometimes mess with placement--should
they be in morning sun, afternoon sun, or no sun?  Right now they are under a
large pine tree and I worry that they won't be exposed to the washing of
rains and possible snow.  I'll probably move them the next time I have a few
minutes. When should I take the mulch off?  These are my concerns. (When we
don't have problems we make them up.  LOL)

This is the first year that my TB seed have all looked the same when planted.
 I found it strange, unusual, and worthy of mention. Either way, I'll enjoy
bloom season in 2002.

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA  Zone 6
Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/976497124/