Re: turkeys

I've heard of, but not tested, a method of controlling squirrels, deer, and
nearly all other mammals visiting your garden.  Just plant a border all
the way around it of the hottest peppers that will grow in your area.  Not
the hottest you want to eat, or even the hottest that will produce peppers,
but the hottest you can grow.  That's enough that nearly anything with fur
will, after one nibble on a leaf, suddenly decide to be elsewhere and not
return.  One person mentioned a pet rabbit that apparantly didn't mind
such things, though.

The hottest variety, according to people who keep track of such things,
is the Red Savina variety of habanero pepper.  Add a ~ over the n in
habanero if your keyboard can handle this.  Try a websearch for Scoville
scale if you need more information on measurements of how hot a
variety is.

The information I have indicates that this doesn't work at all on birds,
though; they can't taste the hot component of peppers.

The pictures I've seen of wild turkeys look smaller and slimmer.  I've
read that the toms of the larger types of domestic turkeys are so heavy
that they even have trouble breeding successfully with hens of their own
type (the hens tend not to survive the experience unless they're wearing
a breeding saddle for protection), so these toms would probably have at
least as much trouble breeding successfully with wild hens.  Perhaps the
smaller types could, though.

Robert, living near Gaithersburg, MD, but with a small bearded iris garden
in Raleigh, NC, USA (not the most convenient combination of locations!)