Re: Cat: Japanese Iris sources

>> In a message dated Tue, 12 Dec 2000  4:32:33 Tom
>  Greaves writes:  Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:26:26 -0600
>  From: tgreaves@primeco.com
>  Subject: Re: CATS: Source of Japanese Irises

>Can anyone recommend a good source of Japanese irises?
> I have finally decided how I think I can grow them in > the zone 7 Texas heat (I'll describe in my next post).

> Thanks, Tom Greaves near Dallas, TX zone 7

Tom    I have had some of my best luck with Terry Aitken & his Salmon Creek Garden in Oregon. He sends great plants.  They've always adjusted to our heat well and taken off rapidly.  Great color catalog.

Ensata would be your other best bet.  Ensata@aol.com
Both have outstanding color catalogs of some of the finest Japs on the market.

Don't know how many Paul Black drug up to Oregon when he moved, but that would be another -- Mid America Gardens...

As for your watering ideas, that might be a little much.  They like even moisture, never let them dry all the way out.  You definitely need SHADE!  The ones here in part shade do best and up at Nancy Fernandes place (Nancyfern@aol.com) she has hers growing in pretty deep shade.  We're so hot & humid that you'll lose your color, texture and substance if you don't give them some pretty good shade.  I throw in soil sulphur when I plant (that lime greeny stuff in small shale looking pieces) and then I dump Miracid on them early in March, again in May, and then mid-September.

Remember to be sure to add mulch every year so you don't lose the new top growth.  That's what hurt mine so bad this year and now that we've hit single digit temps this week, I may have lost them all for good.

Good luck!  Kath in OKC...  =^..^= AIS Region 22, Zone 7