I would like to comment on Chuck Chapman's letter #24431 and picture of
Greased Lightning.  From what I know and understand of the plicata and
luminata pattern and from the photo of G L that was posted, it doesn't
appear to be either one.  It is a wondefully colored iris that results
from a violet ground that is then encircled in standards and falls with
yellow which gives it a brassy gold banding.  It is wonderful.

I am far from a guru of genetics and there is much I don't understand.
As I understand it and the rate of expression in my seedlings is that
plicatas are recessive to solid colorings, whether those be amoenas,
bicolors etc.  Luminatas are recessive to plicatas and glaciatas
recessive to luminatas.  There seems to be some debate about the later.
The one characteristic that seems to be a must for the pattern to class
as a luminata is that there must be an area (usually a V) surrounding
the beard that is completely devoid of any anthocyanin pigments or
violet, blue, purple pigments.  That V area can be white, yellow, pink,
orange.  The absence of any anthocyanin means these colors will be
exceptionally clear.  They will be pure colors with no graying from
anthocyanins.  This area will be the same color that glaciatas come in
since glaciatas by definition have no anthocyanin pigmenting at all.
They are the purest of colors available from carotenoid pigments.  The
Sass lemon ices would be characteristic.  Sometimes the stylearms will
match this area and there will sometimes be a rim of this clear color
around the falls, but they don't have to have this.  The one definitive
identifier of a luminata is the unpigmented patch around the beard.

The picture of Greased Lightning depicts it with a very brassy gold
border  which is caused by the overlay of yellow and the violet ground
color.  From the picture, I also don't see any indication of plicata
markings.  These may possibly be there in the heart of the hafts, but
they don't show up in the photo.

The luminata pattern doesn't seem to manifest itself in standard dwarfs
quite the same way as it does in tall bearded iris.  It doesn't seem to
be quite as recessive in that it can appear without one of the parents
being a luminata or sometimes even a plicata (at least by phenotype).
The tall bearded luminatas I have seen have a wash or marbling over the
fall except for the V area and edge.  In the standard dwarfs, I have
bloomed complete self and bicolor luminatas that have only the luminata
patch and no sanding or marbling at all.  These do tend to have a wire
rim of color that is the same color as the lumi area.

The luminata pattern seems to cause problems for a lot of people.  I
have worked hard at understanding it myself and hope that this helps
with understanding this pattern.  Part of the problem is that there
aren't a lot of luminatas that have been introduced in modern times for
people to become comfortable with the pattern.  This is slowly
changing.  We need more of you hybridizing for these.

I'm sending a photo of a standard dwarf seedling to the iris photos
group.  If you want to take a look at it, it illustrates the pattern
really well.  The seedling is one of mine I296C.  The parentage is
(Software x (Midnight Mist x Dark Blizzard) X Troubador's Song.
Software is a tangerine bearded plic that breeds glaciatas.  Midnight
Mist is a purple fancy plic.  Dark Blizzard is a Warburton puprle fancy
plic IB.  Troubador's Song is a luminata.

eGroups eLerts