Re: HYB: seed

I tried something new with my seeds this year.

I have two seed flats ~2 ft X 4 ft X6 inches deep that I use for
starting seeds.  I usually leave seedlings in these flats until late
summer but have had some problems in years past with varmints (both
domesticated and other) rearranging seedlings, especially as I start to
move them out into pots or permanent locations.  I can't move them all
at the same time due to the high variability in growth rates among
different crosses, and haven't found a satisfactory way to handle them
that suits my temperment and my garden limitations.

This year, I planted everything in 4 or 6 cell plastic bedding plant
pots buried in the seed flats.  I'm hoping this will facilitate moving
the germinating seedlings out while they are smaller than I've been
willing to handle them in the past as well as minimizing seeds moving
from one 'row' to another.  I'm hoping this will help me get them into 4
inch pots by mid-summer with enough growth on them by fall to survive
the final move to the garden in the fall.

Now that I'm retired, I'm interested in trying to move these babies
along a little faster than I've been forced to settle for in the past.
Anybody got more tricks to share re: speeding up growth and
establishment the first year?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Click here for more details:
http://click.egroups.com/1/10801/0/_/486170/_/976709122/