Re: RE:HYB: plicata genetics part#1 (SDB)

This genetic information from Chuck is very interesting but potentially
some confusion may be caused by the use of the word "gene" when what is
really intended is "CHROMOSOME".  I've gone through Chuck's latest post and
substituted CHROMOSOME (in caps) where I think that is what he meant.  How
about it, Chuck?

>As I had mentioned, I would post information as I figured it out. I have found
>that if you assume that glaciata pla, luminata plu genes are alleles of
>plicata "pl", and occupy the same gene site that you could explain all the
>plicata patterns. What was blindsiding me was the wrong assumption that the
>lumina was four sets of "plu" eg "plu plu plu plu". In actuality it is two
>sets of luminata paired with two genes of glaciata. Thus a luminata is
>actually "pla pla plu plu". Once this is clear then the rest of things fall
>into place. Along the way I have found some intersting and unexpected
>information. I have been checking my own breeding information as well as
>checking out ancestry and offspring results to confirm what I had been seeing.
>This is also what enabled me to start making sense out of the "Yellow  ring"
>factor which I have been looking at with my seedlings for the past two years
>but have not been able to understand.
>The SDB plicatas are quite interesting. They seem to perform like diploids in
>regard to plicata factors. SDB are actually originated from pumilla X TB
>crosses and have two sets of CHROMOSOMES from the pumilla and two sets
>from TB. Thus
>the have 8/8/12/12  as a way of representing that they have two sets of 8
>CHROMOSOMES from pumilla and two sets of  12 CHROMOSOMES from talls. The
>SDB act as
>amphidiploids, which means the the four sets of CHROMOSOMES don't act
>independently,
>but in pairs. Thus during breeding you will always get one of the pumilla
>CHROMOSOMES
>and one of the TB CHROMOSOMES "8/12",. Thus a SDB X SDB will result in an
>SDB. If the
>CHROMOSOMES operated independly you would get pumillas, as well as TBs
>from these
>crosses. This is important as the only plicata genes you have on the pumilla,
>8 CHROMOSOME set , is the non plicata Pl and the glaciata gene pla. Thus
>to get a
>plicata SDB you would always(exceptions later, first the rule, then the
>exception) have two pla pla (glaciata) genes on the two 8 CHROMOSOME sets
>from the
>pumilla agenes. Thus all patterns seen in SDB would always be "? ? pla pla".
>Thus they act as diploids as the only genetic variation is on the two sets of
>12 genes from the TB. Understanding this then made it clear that SDB luminatas
>are "plu plu pla pla". the next problem then is,  what are 'plu plu plu pla",
>and what are  "plu plu plu plu" in appearence ?
>
>I'll leave this here for now. It gave me a few headaches, and many late nights
>to absorb and make sense of this information. Please feel free to comment and
>ask questions.

>Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at
>http://home.netscape.com/webmail

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<wshear@email.hsc.edu>
Moderating e-lists:
Coleus at http://www.egroups.com/community/coleus
Opiliones at http://www.egroups.com/community/opiliones
Myriapod at http://www.egroups.com/community/myriapod

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Although we may never know with complete certainty the
identity of the winner of this year's presidential election,
the identity of the loser is perfectly clear. It is the
nation's confidence in the judge as an impartial guardian of
the rule of law."

- JOHN PAUL STEVENS, Supreme Court justice.

Click here for more details:
http://click.egroups.com/1/10801/0/_/486170/_/976802778/