Thanks Kathy for the kinds words.  I only wish I had a small amount of
the knowledge and ability you attribute to me.  The fact is I struggle
like most with genetics.  The other fact is that I love hybridizing iris
and I've seen a lot of seedlings.  I'm afraid my hybridizing is more by
intuition (good or bad) than by precise genetic foundings.  This is my
fun and the day I have to count seeds and make notes on all the
seedlings is the day I'll stop doing it.  I think it is absolutely
essential that people make crosses to explore what the genetic
interactions are, but that isn't me.  I have more structure in the
commercial aspect of this garden to extend it into my "fun" part.  I
give high praise to those who are disciplined enough to carry out that
work.  Well, enough of that!

Chuck and Bill, thank you for your insights about the pairing of TB
chromosomes and pumila chromosomes in SDBs.  Acting as a diploid set
would help to explain the ability of these recessive genes to seemingly
express in unexpected places.

Chuck, I posted a picture of Bea Warburton's, Soft Air.  This is one of
the direct parents of Chubby Cheeks which in turn is behind most of my
work and quite a few others.  This might help you with where the yellow
banding pattern derives from.  Soft Air on first inspection appears to
be a yellow banded white glaciata.  Upon close inspection, it does have
a few plicata marks in the heart of the hafts.  Now, do these marks make
it a plicata instead of a glaciata.  If the rule that a glaciata can
have NO anthocyanin, then it has to be a plicata.  In crosses, it acts
like a plicata.  I have also posted a photo of Chubby Cheeks (poor as it
is) along with several siblings.  Out of all the seedlings I bloomed
from this cross, there was not one luminata. This supports the idea that
it is a plicata and not glaciata.  I don't know enough of historical
iris to figure out where the banding may come from.  Someone with a lot
more knowledge of historical iris might be able to pinpoint it.  There
are also some unknowns in the background which will always make the
puzzle incomplete.

If you look at the series of pictures of Chubby Cheeks and siblings, you
can see how the yellow banding of Soft Air works in concert with the
plicata pattern.  If you look at Chubby Cheeks, it has a gray band
around standards and falls.  To my thinking, this banding is the effect
of overlaying the yellow band on what would otherwise be a violet
plicata band.  The yellow is probably rather pale and so just slightly
grays the violet.  The sib 82 4 A probably has a deeper gold and or
deeper violet plicata band which causes the deeper brownish gold band
around the fall with violet plic marks inside that.  The upper half of
the standards also have a brassy gold banding.  I also posted a couple
shots of sibs that have far less than acceptable form to illustrate the
vast difference in form that can come from the same cross.

We have sever wind at the moment and hear noises that tell me I should
retire from the computer for the moment.  I hope this helps unravel the
mystery of the banding.  It is to Bea Warburton that we owe a great
thanks for her pursuit of the lumi pattern in SDBs & IBs.

eGroups eLerts