Re: HYB: Comments

On 14 Dec 00, at 18:59, PAUL BLACK wrote:

> . . .The fact is I struggle like
> most with genetics.  The other fact is that I love hybridizing iris and
> I've seen a lot of seedlings.  I'm afraid my hybridizing is more by
> intuition (good or bad) than by precise genetic foundings.  This is my fun
> and the day I have to count seeds and make notes on all the seedlings is
> the day I'll stop doing it.  I think it is absolutely essential that
> people make crosses to explore what the genetic interactions are, but that
> isn't me. . .

	Paul, you took the words out of my mouth.  Not having any background in
genetics or statistics and probabilities, I do praise those who can
deal with such.  Like you, when that day comes that I have to tackle
with that stuff, the fun will cease.  In the earlier days, I pulled
my hair out over the old color codes at registration time.  Color
coded shows were nightmares, too.  Life is much easier now!  And, I
was much younger then.

     I do not have the space to grow nor inclination either to chart
or otherwise keep records on the inferior children.  When seedlings
bloom and show obvious faults, I get the shovel and not the notebook.
Many are too horrid for anybody else to see!

    In relation to predicting the possibilities, how can you wind up
with no rebloomers when you have crossed rebloomer x rebloomer, for
example?  My faith in predicting what you'll get from a cross
vanished, when crosses like r x r yielded no rebloom.  I've had so
many of this type.  Is the reblooming gene any different from a color
gene?

    Walter Moores
    Enid Lake, MS 7/8 USA

eGroups eLerts