Re: CULT: a plea

>~55 inches annual
>rainfall, summer highs upper 90's F, winter lows near 0.  Land of
>rollercoaster freezes (exacerbated by valley location) and warmth,
>drought and deluge, rot and luxuriant growth, joy and sorrow.

Now, joy and sorrow I can identify with.  But 55 inches annual rainfall?  I
only
can hope for half in the good years.  Summer highs in the upper 90's F?
That
can be a really cool day here in July and August and sometimes in June and
September as well.  Lows near 0.  Not often, thank goodness - in the teens a
few times and that is more than enough!  Drought and deluge, lots of the
former,
the latter usually last about 15 minutes.  Rot is the dry kind, luxuriant
growth is
definitely confined to weeds and mesquite trees (if that is what you can
call
what THEY do).

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7, USA - and no idea what cene era left my rocky hill.  Probably
the
droppings from several since there is both limestone from a shallow sea bed
from
the past and sandstone from something else.  Absolutely nothing here can be
called loam.  Brick, maybe, or river gummy, but not loam.  Some has gravel
(a lot),
some is without.  Usually not too many late freezes, only one or two which
get
close to the lows for the year and occur after a 6-8 week warming spell.  I
find
that only one is usually necessary to eliminate a good bit of the emerging
spring
growth and bloom. :) :)

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/976926377/