Re: CULT: a plea

----- Original Message -----
From: Donald Eaves
To: iris-talk@egroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: a plea

>~55 inches annual
>rainfall, summer highs upper 90's F, winter lows near 0.  Land of
>rollercoaster freezes (exacerbated by valley location) and warmth,
>drought and deluge, rot and luxuriant growth, joy and sorrow.

Now, joy and sorrow I can identify with.  But 55 inches annual rainfall?  I
only
can hope for half in the good years.  Summer highs in the upper 90's F?
That
can be a really cool day here in July and August and sometimes in June and
September as well.  Lows near 0.  Not often, thank goodness - in the teens a
few times and that is more than enough!  Drought and deluge, lots of the
former,
the latter usually last about 15 minutes.  Rot is the dry kind, luxuriant
growth is
definitely confined to weeds and mesquite trees (if that is what you can
call
what THEY do).

Wendy Dunafon in Changeable Kansas.
Lilylvr@kansas.net

We have Highs of up to 115 F. It was 111 last summer. We have lows of 120 F. almost every year and occasionally colder. We had 1" for 9 months this year and 3" the year before. Then in 1993 We had rain measured in feet. Everything around was flooded except people and towns on the tops of hills. I helped people evacuate their homes with a stock trailer. The wind usually blows and once a year or more it reaches 100 miles an hour. We had a Mile wide tornado in Keats, 30 miles from here, just about 5 years ago I think that was when. That is the largest I know of. 50 degree drops in temperature happen alot in a 24 hour period. At least 3 times in the winter. I have clay soil,Banks of clay with no soil, and combinations therof. Clay here comes in rainbow colors. Black clay will grow almost anything you want to put in it. If something doesn't like it add sand. Iris love it here. The chickens keep the grasshoppers out, our biggest pest. Everything is on a slope so it is well drained. Other than weeding and a little fertilizer Iris are a no care plant for me. I cover eroding slopes and use iris for every perenial border.
Sincerely Wendy

      eGroups Sponsor

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/976928374/