Re: HYB: LUMINATAS

In a message dated 12/14/00 9:59:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
midamerg@earthlink.net writes:

<<  I don't know enough of historical
 iris to figure out where the banding may come from.  Someone with a lot
 more knowledge of historical iris might be able to pinpoint it.  There
 are also some unknowns in the background which will always make the
 puzzle incomplete. >>

Hi Paul,

I'm not that familiar with the oldies, but I have done an ancestry chart for
CHUBBY CHEEKS because we have also used it in hybridizing.  Unfortunately,
some of the early hybridizers didn't keep track of their crosses.  I did
notice Mesopotamica in the chart a number of times and a wide variety of
pumilas.  Both DAISY and SOFT AIR have a lot of blues in their backgrounds
and SOFT AIR's great grandfather is one of our favorite ancestors - BLUEBERRY
MUFFINS.  With every color from black to white involved, the yellow edge
could come from anywhere.

I agree with you that serious plotting, counting and note taking are less fun
than wondering what this pollen would do to that iris and waiting with bated
breath for the seedlings to bloom.

Hope the wind doesn't cause you problems.

Dorothy Willott

Get info by phone: it's fast & easy. Call 800-555-TELL.
   Sports, stocks, driving directions...& much more!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10793/0/_/486170/_/976955959/