CULT: Ideal Garden Spots

> . . .  I don't think I could go back and
> garden in Oklahoma.  This IS paradise in comparison to the problems we
> endured there.
> Paul Black  -  Mid-America Garden
> Salem, Oregon  Zone 8B

     Nor I to my former location in Texas, which was like OK, only
hotter and with one less tornado.  Mississippi is far from ideal, but
where I am in MS, I think I  have the ideal spot for growing irises.
I don't miss the winds, scorch, grasshoppers, or summer heat and
drought that were annual occurrences in Texas.  I can grow so many
more of the species here that I wouldn't think of trying in Texas,
including the JI's.  Just about the only thing that fails are the
CA's, though the seeds sprout easily.  Even a few sino-siberians from
seed seem to be taking off, though imported single rhizomes fail to

     Everybody seems to think of a rot problem in MS because of the
55 to 60 inches of rainfall with lots of afternoon thermal heat
thunderstorms in June, July, and August in a normal year.  I do not
have the rot problem that some in the region complain about.  If the
beds are elevated and the tops of the rhizomes exposed, rot doesn't
happen.  I admit our humidity can be stifling, but, otherwise,
gardening conditions are much more to my liking, so I will stay for
the duration and sweat it out each summer simply because in addition
to irises, I can grow so many other varieties of plants I couldn't
grow in Texas.  I do confess I would love to grow a mesquite tree in

Donald, when do you transplant mesquite seedlings?

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8 (66o on the porch thermometer today - between

eGroups eLerts