Re: SPEC: I.lactea

> A recent talk at the Ottawa Valley Rock Garden Society included a slide
> of Iris sintenisii form a garden in Ithaca which appeared to me to be a
> good example of I.lactea.  In re-examining this issue, I noticed that
> lactea seems to come in a wide range of colour forms.  Are they all
> lactea?
> Finally, I have a screen saver which is a field photograph of a flower
> that looks like the Waddick lactea but is identified as ruthenica from
> the Altai Mountains
> [http://pisum.bionet.nsc.ru/kosterin/index.htm]. [I would note that this
> is an excellent source of photographs of Central Asia plants and
> butterflies in the wild]
> It is obvious that lactea is very variable but can anyone tell me
> whether the NARGS plant is lactea and the Altai "ruthenica" is really
> lactea.
Hello Ian,
I doubt there is any possibility to mix up Iris ruthenica and Iris lactea:
1) first have grassy shining wilting leaves, second have rigid upright mat
bluish-green leaves
2) first is plant of clear forests and mountain meadows, second grow on
salt-ridden meadows on the banks of rivers and lakes
3)traditional areal of Iris lactea is South Siberia east of lake Baikal,
Russian Far East, North-east Mongolia and North China (sorry I don't know
much about new researches of Zhao in China), so it could not be found at
Altai Mountain far western of lake Baikal
4)I don't compare near round boll of ruthenica and spindle-shaped boll of

I think too there is possibility to mix up the flowers of lactea and some
sibiricas at first sight, but never very chracteristic flowers of spurias.

I add a link to photo of siberian Iris lactea:

Juri Pirogov
Moscow, Russia

eGroups eLerts