Re: Re: HYB: seed--long

In a message dated 12/18/2000 12:48:23 PM Central Standard Time,
lmann@icx.net writes:

<<  What kind of soil mix do you use? >

I plant approximately 25 seed in a clump in the center of each mum pot.  I
use a brand of potting soil (mix) called BACTO which I get from my local
nursery.  It's light and fluffy, drains well, and it's easy for the seed to
push through.  It's a little pricey, but I got "bit" using a cheaper brand
some years ago.  They get off to a good start in this, even if I can't pay
them the attention they deserve.

 <When are they usually
 big enough to transplant?>

Around 3 inches tall, but have planted much smaller,if they looked strong,
without any problems. The roots get rather tangled, but I've never damaged
one bad enough to lose them.  The key is to get them settled before it gets
too hot.  Sometimes a little shade is necessary.

  <Do you move them straight from the mum pots
 to their final location in the garden?>

 <Have you tried transplanting
 them to larger individual pots as they grow? >>

Did this one time, but didn't get them into the ground right away.  Still had
some floating around in Styrofoam cups for a couple of years.  For me, it's
best to get them straight into the ground, but early.  As I've mentioned
before, I often alternate the weak looking with the strong looking, just in
case someone wants to die OR over grow.

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA Zone 6
Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.

Click here for more details: