Re: HYB: spots and shadow patterns

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, Linda Mann <lmann@i...> wrote:
> I have really enjoyed all the discussion about the plicata et al.
> patterns, complete with pictures!  Wonderful.
>
> Here's another one - I absolutely love the darker irises with
lighter
> rims (MAGIC MAN, COPATONIC, INTO THE NIGHT - to name a few that I
> grow).  We were jokingly calling this the 'umbrata' pattern in the
early
> days of the list and as I recall, nobody posted much about how this
> pattern might be inherited or its possible relationship to other
color
> patterns, such as the 'spot' pattern.  Or that gorgeous (only seen
in
> pictures) half & half, EURHYTHMIC (which I never can spell!).
>
> Anybody care to leap into this one?  Barry Blyth are you still
lurking
> out there?  Where did these patterns come from and what's their
> inheritance?  Are they single alleles?  Or do they have complicated
> subgroups like the plicatas?  Is the spot pattern inherited linked
with
> other SDB traits?  {like what, I dunno...)
>
> Linda Mann east Tennesee USA zone 7/8

Eurythmic is every bit as gorgeous as its pictures. It grows  well
for me. I don't have any understanding of its pattern, and I'm equally
curious.
The Umbrata pattern is now in plicatas. The ones that I have noted are
, Owyee Amethyst, Owyee Desert, and Bruneau Jasper. Very striking.
They are all from Wild Jasmine X unknown. Wild Jasmine also shows the
umbrata pattern, so the assumtion would be that it is dominant

Click here for more details:
http://click.egroups.com/1/10801/0/_/486170/_/977196482/