RE: HYB - LUMINATAS

Chuck,
After reading your last e-mail, I think we are figuring out a bit more
of what we consider the luminata pattern to be.  You are right about
patterns emerging and then people searching for descriptions and terms
to describe them.  You mentioned the possibility of flavones being
responsible for the more olive hues to the yellows rather than
anthocyanins.  That may very well be the case.  I'm not sure where this
leaves us.  I think the definition I am familiar with and the pattern I
see as luminata has only plastid or fat soluble pigment as a possibility
in the luminata patch area.  That would possibly include chlorophyl
which could give some of the minty green colors that I am sure you have
seen as I have.  Now, if we include the addition of flavones as a
possibility in that area, are they still luminatas or do we have to term
them something different.  I certainly don't know.  People with a lot
more knowledge than myself will have to kick this one around.  They
probably should be all placed into the luminata category if they breed
like luminatas.  If we look at the plicata pattern, there are myriads of
variations (pumila spot plics, haft plics, ring or banded plics, line or
veined plics, and on and on)  I think it would be non-productive to try
to separate these into little individual descriptive classes.  Most
people know when we say plicata that it encompasses many patterns within
this class that we can further describe it we want to.

Thanks for helping bringing these ideas into better focus.

Paul Black
Zone 8B  Salem, Oregon

Sun is gone and rain is back

eLerts