Re: HYB: seed--long

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, storylade@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 12/18/2000 12:48:23 PM Central Standard Time,
> lmann@i... writes:
> <<  What kind of soil mix do you use? >
> I plant approximately 25 seed in a clump in the center of each mum
pot.  I
> use a brand of potting soil (mix) called BACTO which I get from my
> nursery.  It's light and fluffy, drains well, and it's easy for the
seed to
> push through.  It's a little pricey, but I got "bit" using a
> some years ago.  They get off to a good start in this, even if I
can't pay
> them the attention they deserve.

This is just a quick observation on use of BACTO.  We used BACTO when
we were in Oklahoma for germinating iris seed.  It is a good medium
use with one exception.  It is a very light mix and if you get heavy
rains or run water from a hose into the pots to water, the seed
invariably washes to the top.  We remedied this problem by covering
the seed with about 3/4 to 1 inch of sand.  The other way to protect
them is to apply a mulch of ground oak leaves or such over the pots
break the water.  BACTO provides a nice easy root zone for the new
seedlings.  Here in Oregon we use a heavier mix similar to BACTO but
with the addition of about 1/2 coarse sand.  This has seemed to work
very well.

Paul Black
Zone 8 Salem Oregon
Zone 7 Oklahoma