Re: HYB: luminatas

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, Linda Mann <lmann@i...> wrote:
> Paul Black said:
> <If we look at the plicata pattern, there are myriads of
>               variations (pumila spot plics, haft plics, ring or
banded
> plics, line or
>               veined plics, and on and on) I think it would be
> non-productive to try
>               to separate these into little individual descriptive
> classes. >
>
> Help - I thought I was more or less following this discussion, till
> read this.  Are you saying that the pumila spot is determined by the
> plicata allele?  What is a pumila spot plic?
>
> Or to ask a more general question, what determines the variations
> (pumila spot plics, haft plics, ring or banded plics, line or veined
> plics, and on and on)?  Are these interactions with other alleles?
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Part of what I'm hoping to do with my series of articles is to give a
better understanding of the plicata patterns and their variations as
well as connect them to their genotypes, which should help with
breeding. I'm not exactly sure what Paul means by the "pumilla spot
plic" although I have a suspicion. The others are known variations on
plicata. Sometimes the only thing you have are very light markings
around the haft as on Laced Cotton, or plicata markings on   only the
hafts. There are the stripped and heavily streaked variations. I have
posted a couple of pictures on iris-photo to help clarify the veined
and streaked patterns. I try to put my best guess of genotype with the
photos to help out.

There are a few surprises to come. I think that I have identified a
few plicata patterns that have been puzzling to people but so far
don't seem to have been identified as plicata.

I'm not aware of anyone else who has been brave (or foolish) enough to
try putting a genotype to the various patterns. This at least will
give the information to start making predictions and Punnett square
outcomes which can give us test crosses. Even if drastically wrong,
should hopefully give enough information to better understand the
genetics involed.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/977362864/