RE:HYB:Plicata Genetics Part 4

One of the hard part in sorting out the patterns and their genetic composition
is the extra factors the cause many variations and often blur the distinction
between one type and the other. Some patterns are very clearly different from
each other and some are only slightly different. They don't all deserve
distinctive names. As a hybidizer I would like to know what sorts of things to
expect from a cross and to know how to select parents to get the outcome and
pattern that I'm looking for. Thus some of these distinctions are important
for me and other hybridizers but not so important when viewing the flower in
all its beauty.
 Looking at the photo of Chubby Cheeks and the example I posted of a veined
plicata, its difficult to see how they are the same pattern. This is where
some of the co-factors and other genetics play a role. Looking at these two
plants I can see two possible influences which contribute to a different
appearance. For one thing, the intensity of colour is different. CC is a light
violet whereas the colour of the veined seedling is quite dark. I would like
to refer to this as the "intensity factor". This is often seen in many iris of
various patterns. That is you sometimes have mutted colours and sometimes
intense colours in the same pattern, that look much different. This is seen
else where such as in the colour of cats. (I think there are many cat lovers
out there)With cats this is called the "dilute" gene. This changes the black
colour (of cats) to grey, and the orange to a  light pastel orange. This
factor dilutes all the colours on the cat and not just one colour. Thus a
tortoiseshell and a calico cat will be muted with both orange and black and
never with just one colour. I see the same sort of think with iris. If you go
to iris-photos and compare Greased Lightning with 94-240-1 you will see that
they are both the same colours, except that GL is more intensely coloured with
both the yellow and violet colours.This  makes the two of them very different
as CC is different from the veined seedling (ie:intensity).When you look at
veined plicata you will note that the darker varieties have more pronounced
stripes. (Some examples of veined plicatas include Circus Stripes and Autumn
Circus). The darker colour makes the distribution stronger and thus increases
the veining. I suspect that there is another factor that affects this that I
will refer to as the "enhancement" factor. I'm not as sure of this as I am of
the "intensity" factor, but there does seem to be something there. I see this
as  increasing the amount of anthocyanin pigment above what would normally be
there with this pattern and thus will enhance the effect. I believe these
factors are present (along with many others)and all contribute to slight
changes in apearence and have to be considered when looking at the flowers.

in the flowers and effect the appearance of the plicata pattern
2)"enhancement" factor will increase amount of anthocyanin pigment and also
increease the patterning present.