Re: HYB: seed--more

In a message dated 12/20/2000 7:10:02 PM Central Standard Time,
midamerg@earthlink.net writes:

<< The other way to protect
 them is to apply a mulch of ground oak leaves or such over the pots
 to  >>

You're right . . . I forgot to mention the mulch!  I always mulch the pots
with a thick layer, up to 6 inches, of whatever is on hand.  It was a mixture
of local ground leaves @ Alvaton--mainly maple, but here I have an abundance
of pine needles.  Actually, many of them fell right in place.

I was worrying about the pots getting enough water in their present location
under a pine tree, but after the repeated snows (3 so far) have blown in to
blanket the pots, I don't think I have to be concerned.  Melting snow should
really do the trick.  And how about 7 degrees to chill those seed?  According
to my calculations, I should get about 200% germination THIS spring!

One other tip for those with strong backs.  One year, I placed the pots in a
4 inch trench.  They yielded the best germination I've ever had.  One pot
sprouted 112 plants from 101 seed!  Upps!  (no twins)  I no longer plant that
many seed in one pot.  They didn't grow off as well and I didn't like
fighting the huge root mass.
Betty / Bowling Green KY USA  Zone 6
Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.