Re: HYB: seed--more

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, storylade@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 12/20/2000 7:10:02 PM Central Standard Time,
> midamerg@e... writes:
> << The other way to protect
>  them is to apply a mulch of ground oak leaves or such over the pots
>  to  >>
> Paul,
> You're right . . . I forgot to mention the mulch!  I always mulch
the pots
> with a thick layer, up to 6 inches, of whatever is on hand.  It was
a mixture
> of local ground leaves @ Alvaton--mainly maple, but here I have an
> of pine needles.  Actually, many of them fell right in place.
> I was worrying about the pots getting enough water in their present
> under a pine tree, but after the repeated snows (3 so far) have
blown in to
> blanket the pots, I don't think I have to be concerned.  Melting
snow should
> really do the trick.  And how about 7 degrees to chill those seed?
> to my calculations, I should get about 200% germination THIS spring!
> One other tip for those with strong backs.  One year, I placed the
pots in a
> 4 inch trench.  They yielded the best germination I've ever had.
One pot
> sprouted 112 plants from 101 seed!  Upps!  (no twins)  I no longer
plant that
> many seed in one pot.  They didn't grow off as well and I didn't
> fighting the huge root mass.
> Betty / Bowling Green KY USA  Zone 6
> Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.

We have also placed the gallon pots in a trench.  One of the things we
found helpful was to make sure there was a V area under the pots so
the would drain well.  Standing water in the pots is as detrimental to
germination as too little water.  The seed has to have oxygen to
germinate.  There are so many ways to germinate seed.  It is one of
those things you have to experiment with and find what works best for
you.  112 seed germinated out of 101 - now that is a trick :-}.

Paul Black
Zone 8  Salem, Oregon