Re: Re: HYB: seed--more

In a message dated 12/21/2000 12:13:42 PM Central Standard Time,
lmann@icx.net writes:

<< Do you both remove the mulch as the seeds germinate or just let it rot
 in place? >>

Linda,  I remove the mulch as the weather allows.  You should watch for early
sprouting seed, peak under the stuff, and not expose tender plants to the
elements.  At Alvaton, I would place chicken wire over the pots and put the
mulch over that.  Much of the mulch would lift off with the wire.  I left the
chicken wire behind when I moved, since I didn't expect to do any more
hybridizing and I haven't found anything to replace it.  So far, my seed have
not been disturbed by marauding animals, here.

Pine needles are light and appear easier to remove.

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA  Zone 6
Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.

With US & International rates as low as 3.9c a minute from Net2Phone
Direct Plus Up to 1500 FREE minutes; you can call everyone on your list!