Re: OT-CHAT:Garden in progress

Oh my, sounds like a lot of work, but lovely and warm.  I think I'm rather
bitter about that!  Just kidding . . . happy holidays all!

Scott
Lincoln, NE
where it's holding steady at -9F

John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com> on 12/22/2000 11:33:59 AM

Please respond to iris-talk@egroups.com

 To:      "'iris-talk@egroups.com'" <iris-talk@egroups.com>

 cc:      (bcc: LOMBMML Biehle Scott/Lincoln/Metromail)

 Subject: [iris-talk] OT-CHAT:Garden in progress

Last chance to say hello to everybody before Christmas.  I've enjoyed the
chat group these past few months.  Hope y'all have a wonderful holiday
season.

We are about 2/3 through with bringing in 300 cubic yards of topsoil (not a
misprint, though our entire lot is "only" about 1/3 acre.  We've just
stripped the entire yard, put in a "rock" pool, and terraced the slope with
matching "rock" retaining walls to hold topsoil about 2 feet deep.  Our
existing soil was NASTY salty and alkaline adobe clay; tough and totally
lacking in aeration or drainage.  The topsoil is being blown in out of an
about 8" hose from a special truck.  The alternative was about 2 weeks of 20
laborers with buckets.  Quite a project.  Our 2 1/2 year old daughter loves
to roll in the new, loose dirt (to my wife's dismay and my amusement).

Finally I hope to have room for some iris, but my wife would rather claim my
new flowerbeds for other things.  I figure on tall tropical plantings behind
the pool, fruit trees at the top of the slope (systemic "rose" fertilizer /
insecticide won't wash uphill), and flowerbeds in the middle.  Lots of bushy
flowers and vines, but as many iris plantings as I can beg my wife into
letting me have.  I'll have to fight hard for the seedling beds, since they
are not as aesthetically pleasing as grown plants.  I would love to have
about 3000 square feet of iris beds; my wife would probably prefer 500.  If
I gotta take care of everything,  I hope that gives me some leverage.
Realistically, I'll probably end up with a cramped 1500 square feet or so of
carefully culled varieties, about 30% seedlings.  Finally I can get the
laundry baskets full of iris (temporary planting method) off of our patio.
We'll have a ring of rose bushes in front of the 3 palm trees, and a big
pocket of louisiana iris at the edge of the deck area in front of the pool.
Another couple of years, and I'll probably want to dig up part of the lawn
for more flowerbeds.  That may not go over too well.

Hope I haven't bored you to death.  I'm just amazed at the way this whole
project is coming together (though at twice the time and money expected).
Any iris lovers want to stop by, (in 2002 the bloom should be good; in 2003
it should be awesome) let me know.  I'm not a big commercial garden, but I
do enjoy talking to other iris enthusiasts.  They are usually pretty nice
people.

John Reeds, in sunny southern California (San Juan Capistrano)
jreeds@microsensors.com

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/977508042/