Re: Digest Number 1344

Dennis,

Yes the seeds have an aril. (So does another beardless iris, I . ruthenica.)
I don't think that alone is enough to say they are related.  There are lots
of other differences,  like preferred habitat.  Still, I. verna is a loner
and it's place in the iris family is uncertain.

Happy Holidays to all!

Rodney
--
Rodney Barton
rbarton@hsc.unt.edu

North Central Texas USA
AIS, SIGNA, SLI and SPCNI
USDA Zone 7/8
AHS heat zone 8
Annual rainfall 32 in.
Mean annual temp 65 deg.
Mean length of frost free period 230 days

North American Native Iris web site:
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html

> I heard that seeds of I. verna have an aril collar on them.  Is this
> anything like the oncocyclus or regelia iris seeds?  Could they be
> closely related???

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/977513712/